The purpose of this specific study is provide technical and scientific analysis to the Directorate General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries and the North Atlantic Fisheries Organization (NAFO) to:
- Address the shortcomings of the current assessment model, identified by the NAFO Working Group on Risk Based Management Strategies, the Scientific Council and the Fisheries Commission in 2015.
- Support the development of the 3M cod benchmark process within NAFO.
- Develop and test the robustness of various Harvest Control Rules (HCR) for cod in Div. 3M to achieve the management objectives to be established by the FC.
To achieve these objectives, three main tasks were foreseen:
- Organise a workshop focusing on the current assessment model;
- Support the development of the benchmark assessment for cod in Division 3M1;
- Support the development of the multiannual management plan for cod in Division 3M.
Following the workshop, a set of recommendations were made to the NAFO Scientific Committee (SC).
Proposals were endorsed and two were approved as they proved to solve the main shortcomings.
The scientific work done within the project on the 3M benchmark process allowed the NAFO SC to also to modify/improve the assessment model used in the future.
Finally, the study contributed to the development of the multiannual management plan for cod in Division 3M.
It brought in a lot of knowledge and expertise, which has been recognized as an asset to any future Management Strategy Evaluation process.
*1 Division 3M is a geographical area defined for the management of fisheries and fishing activities (see image above).
- Publication date
- 15 September 2020
- Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises