The protection of personal data is a fundamental right in the European Union (see Article 8 and 16 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and the Charter of Fundamental Rights). It is further complemented by the Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 (hereafter the Regulation) which sets the data protection requirements with regard to the processing of personal data by the EU institutions, bodies & agencies.
In accordance with this the Regulation, the European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (CINEA) collects personal data only to the extent necessary to fulfil the precise purpose related to its tasks.
More information on legal obligations as regards data protection is also available on the website of the European Data Protection Supervisor
Central Register of Records
Article 31.5 of the Regulation provides for the setting up of a Central Register of CINEA’s records of processing activities, which is publicly accessible.
The Register is based on the records submitted by data controllers and is therefore available only in English. Processing activities that have been prior-checked by the European Data Protection Supervisor under Article 27 of the former data protection Regulation (EC) 45/2001 are available on the webpage about prior-checking opinions of the EDPS.
The purpose of the Central Register is to inform the public about the existence of personal data processing activities in CINEA. All individuals concerned may exercise their rights recognised by the Regulation 2018/1725, as described by the information contained in the related Data Protection Notices, also known as Privacy Statements.
You may contact the CINEA Data Protection Officer if you have questions on this matter. Please note also that CINEA is the legal successor of INEA and references to INEA in the records are to be construed as references to CINEA.
Data Subjects Rights
Under the Regulation, Data Subjects (any natural person whose data is processed by CINEA) have the following rights regarding their personal data processed by CINEA:
- the right to be informed about the processing and the right to access their personal data;
- the right to have inaccurate personal data rectified or completed as relevant; the rights in certain circumstances to erasure (to be forgotten), restrict processing or data portability;
- the right to object to processing in certain circumstances; rights in relation to automated decision making if applicable;
- the right to withdraw consent at any time (where relevant);
- the right to contact the CINEA Data Protection Officer at any time or to complain to the EDPS. CINEA may restrict in certain cases Data Subjects’ rights in line with Article 25 of the Regulation on the basis of its Decision SC (2020) 26 of 14 October 2020, which is published in the Official Journal of the EU of 9 February 2021 under the reference L 045S (p. 80).
In order to exercise these rights, please refer to the related data protection notice applicable to your processing, which contains the relevant information (e.g. contact details of the controller, applicable rights, etc.).
Data Protection Notices
A Data Protection Notice is a legal requirement under the Regulation: it' s a document aiming at informing data subjects on the way their personal data is processed by CINEA and how they can exercise their data subjects ' rights. Data Protection Notices are usually published on the main page where information is given on the processing (e.g. on the page of the relevant EU programmes, call for tenders, call for applications, open vacancies, etc.) or below.
Whenever the CINEA Data Protection Officer processes personal data (i.e. to reply to a query from a data subject or for investigation, monitoring, auditing,...), it is subject to the following specific data protection notice.