As part of our upcoming platform meeting on the European Climate Pact, LIFE projects active in urban greening will share their experiences of engaging with stakeholders for impactful and long-lasting climate action. This online event is open to the public.
- green infrastructure | climate change | climate change policy
- Διαθέσιμη ζωντανή μετάδοση
- Full programme
The European Climate Pact invites people, communities and organisations to participate in climate action and build a greener Europe.
Urban green spaces are important for the Pact as they can help reduce the impact of extreme weather events like flooding. They can also cool the environment and boost carbon sequestration. In this session, the focus will be on LIFE projects that support actions to improve the climate response of urban areas. It will look at these projects’ experiences of engaging multiple stakeholders and fostering bottom-up, participative and long-lasting climate actions for greening urban areas.
Keynote speakers include representatives from the Finnish city of Lahti - winner of the European Green Capital 2021 - as well as Germany’s North Rhine-Westphalia region. These speakers also represent two LIFE projects: LIFE IP Canemure-Finland and Evolving Regions. They will present the main climate issues impacting both areas.
A panel discussion will also take place featuring the below LIFE projects:
- LIFE TreeCheck – developing green infrastructure in central European cities to minimise the urban heat island effect
- NATURE 4 CITY LIFE – effective governance for climate change adaptation in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- LIFE@URBAN ROOFS – stimulating private investment for climate change adaptation in Rotterdam
- U-MOB LIFE – exchanging best practices in sustainable mobility on university campuses across the EU
- LIFE CLIVUT – managing urban forests to optimise their environmental and climatic services in Mediterranean cities
As a participant, you will learn how these cities and regions engage and co-create with stakeholders. You will also discover how to encourage and promote long-lasting climate action, particularly in urban areas.