On 8 February 2023, the European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (CINEA), the European Commission's DG Climate Action and Research and Innovation organised a half-day virtual Workshop on Innovation Fund synergies.
The focus of the workshop was to gather participants from mature R&I projects funded under EU R&I funding programmes (notably Horizon 2020) to explore funding opportunities under the EU Innovation Fund to deploy their technologies.
Fully virtual, selected participants presented online their ideas. The workshop was webstreamed, please find the recordings of the sessions in the programme below.
During the workshop some of the questions were answered live. Please find here the Q&A document gathering all the questions.
- clean technology | EU financing
- Tikai tiešsaistē
- Pieejams tiešraides straumējums
- 09:45 AM - 09:55 AM CETQUICK BREAK
- 09:55 AM - 10:15 AM CETRationale for Workshops & Synergies Strategy
Explaining overall importance & policy priority of synergies between EU funding programmes. Overview of specific actions taken so far to promote synergies between R&I results and the Innovation Fund
- Alan HAIGH - Senior Expert, Policy Adviser – Horizon Europe, Deputy Director-General: Implementation, Impact & Sustainable Investment Strategies, DG RTD
- Jose JIMENEZ MINGO - Policy Officer, Low Carbon Solutions (II): Research & Low Carbon Technology Deployment, DG CLIMA
- 10:15 AM - 11:15 AM CETInnovation Fund
- General overview of funding opportunities at the Innovation Fund
- Lessons learnt from past calls
Maria VELKOVA - Acting Head of Unit, Low Carbon Solutions (II): Research & Low Carbon Technology Deployment, DG CLIMA
Roman DOUBRAVA – Head of Unit, Innovation Fund, CINEA
- Presentation of H2020 projects that have successfully benefitted from Innovation Fund support
- Questions and answers
- 11:15 AM - 11:20 AM CETOverview of Horizon 2020 Portfolio
- Presentation of where/in which areas of the Horizon 2020 project portfolio sees the most scope for synergies with the Innovation Fund
- Overview/breakdown of projects of attending participants & how participants will be split into breakout rooms
Philip HAWKINS - Policy Officer, Low Carbon Solutions (II): Research & Low Carbon Technology Deployment, DG CLIMA
- 11:20 AM - 11:30 AM CETQUICK BREAK
- 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM CETParallel Breakout Sessions - Overall introduction
Session 1: Low-carbon technologies in energy-intensive industries & Carbon capture, use and storage (CCUS)
Session 2: Renewable energy generation
Session 3: Energy storage & hydrogen
- 12:30 PM - 12:35 PM CETQUICK BREAK
- 12:35 PM - 01:05 PM CETClosing session - Key conclusions
Summary of the key conclusions of each session
- 01:05 PM - 01:15 PM CETClosing Remarks
- Overall conclusions & next steps
Alexandre PAQUOT - Director, Innovation for a Low Carbon, Resilient Economy, DG CLIMA
- Tikai tiešsaistē
The Innovation Fund is a dedicated funding programme for the deployment and up-scaling of innovative low-carbon technologies, aiming to bring to the market industrial solutions to decarbonise Europe. The Innovation Fund is funded with revenues from the auctioning of allowances from the EU Emissions Trading System (ETS).
On 3 November, the Commission launched the EU Innovation Fund third large-scale call, open for submission until 16 March 2023, 17:00 CET.